[Gllug] Open Ports

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Jan 28 15:14:44 UTC 2002

>Ran nmap against my debian box and noticed that it has an awful lot
>of ports open and listening. To close the ports is it a case of
>editing the /etc/services file to comment them out or is it wiser to
>stop the service that has opened the port in the first place.

No, /etc/services is just a lookup table that associates a port number
with a human readable service name. Commenting an entry out will not
prevent that port being opened, just as removing a hostname from DNS
or from /etc/hosts doesn't stop you connecting to it by IP address.

To close the ports, you need to ensure that the applications in question
aren't opening them in the first place. You can find out which application
has a given port open by looking at the output of "lsof -ni".

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk