[Gllug] Application development across all platforms

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Jan 4 11:10:01 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:20:06AM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >I have become a fan of Tomcat and struts ( these can be found under
> >http://jakarta.apache.org ),
> >you will have a big learning curve to learn Java and the struts API.
>
> Servlets are fine, but steer clear of JSPs. In my experience they're
> too dog slow to be useful for, well, anything really.

Which application server were you using? Tomcat is a dog, IME, but
something else might work well. Seen decent performance from Orion,
for example, but only when the spec of the machine was good enough to
bear the weight of Java in the first place.

I still prefer PHP and Apache in place of JSPs, but that could be
because I've carefully avoided getting sucked into the whole corporate
mire :) Perl and the AxKit[1] also look interesting.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] http://axkit.org/

--
"I like to fill my tub up with water, then turn the shower on and act
like I'm in a submarine that's been hit ..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk