[Gllug] SmoothWall Corporate

Nick Mailer nickm at positive-internet.com
Sun Jan 20 12:00:17 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 18:26, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> I think that's just the point. New laws aren't made until they're tested in
> court. The GPL is only as good as the electrons that it flies about on until
> a court says otherwise. Likewise for most EULAs BTW.
>
> I think any decent judge would demand that all of the steps 1-4 are covered
> before they'd even get into court.

Oh, you can be sure they will be. The FSF is nothing if not fastidious.
And, the fact is, the GPL is actually much less ambiguous than many
other licenses which have been tested in court. In particular, if a
company is shown to be distributing other people's GPL'd work as a part
of a proprietary product, and refuses to budge in point 1 to 4, it is as
simple a copyright violation case as can be conceived, frankly.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk