[Gllug] Using smbclient to access NT shares

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 11:44:56 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have just started using smbclient to unsuccessfully leech my
colleagues mp3 collections (maybe leading on to some serious use some
other time).  They are mostly running NT4 and the shares are not
password protected so I would have thought the following command:

smbclient -L perugia -N

would have listed the shares on the machine perugia (which does have
shares on it).  However I get:

--------------------------------------
[will at localhost will]$ smbclient -L perugia -N
added interface ip=172.16.3.24 bcast=172.16.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Got a positive name query response from 172.16.3.77 ( 172.16.3.77 )
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[VERIOUK] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
<snip list of other servers>

I have been googling like fury to try and find a reason for this (and in
fact any decent samba docs) and have found this:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html

but it shows a different output than the one I got.  What am I doing wrong?

Will.

--
*claw claw* *fang*
*shred* *rip* *ad hominem* *slash*