[Gllug] 3D tools

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 13:06:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:55:28 +0000 Lee Danskin wrote:

> it's a crazy thing that they would'nt do a linux ver this whole exercise
> of the free maya was to promote education and i can't think of a >
> cheaper, and better education for going to the BIG animation/effects >
> house's than the linux ver.

Exactly.  I want to learn Maya as I aim to eventually get into the FX
industry as a systems administrator and/or systems support (sure the same
thing?!).  I'm getting tired of the ISP industry and I'm looking for
something new to get my teeth into.  In fact (and I don't know whether
this is a good idea or not to mention it, but I will anyway - I still have
a a job if things don't work out - hehe!) I recently had an interview with
Framestore/CFC for this type of position (supporting the applications the
graphics artists use, their workstations, that sort of thing).

>From what I understood at that interview, the majority of production by
the artists there are carried out on NT boxen (and not Win2k boxen, but
the good old NT 4 kind).  It was a similar situation when I went along to
Cinesite.  The artists there (I was fortunate to be taken on a grand tour
and bloody impressed I was!) were using the NT version of Maya.  I know
they have plans to deploy more Linux boxes, but I don't know how long it
would take them to make the move to Maya on those things.

> In terms of 3D compared to MPC,mill,CFC,framestore we have a much
> smaller team so we have to run 2000 on the desktop and linux on farms >
> etc...

Fair enough :)

> If we had access to a large dev team them we would run linux on the
> desktop, there's just too many apps missing from linux stable at the mo

And I believe that's the main reason why take up is slow for Maya on Linux
at the moment and hence why SGI/Alias Wavefront are not producing the
Linux edition.  It would be nice to have access to it, from a learning
point of view, but it's currently no great loss if NT and 2000 desktops
are still in the majority.

> just hate that MS though what with the dual 1ghz mac on OSX hmmmm..... (
> wish they had the hardware support)

It's a bit of a bugger .. :(

Regards,

	Martyn