[Gllug] Greenhouse emissions (was Geforce2)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 24 12:59:32 UTC 2002

Harry wrote:
> Multiple choice
> The guy in the cell knows where the 10000 bomb is complete with detonator.
It goes off in 24 hours. What do > you do???
> A. Have a cup of tea and a chat.
> B. Tell him you cannot harm him but really want to know where its at.
> C. You will tell his mother if he won't co-operate.
> D. Torture him.
Harry, all this implies that there is no coalface of liberty and
democracy.  That is not true.  When rights and freedoms are ignored, bad
things follow.  Events away from battlefronts are just as crucial to
human lives, not least because they can affect the likelihood of future
battles.
If you can say "we'll ignore the law in this case because *we* know it is
right" then you have no law, just a comforting lie.  Real-life events
that are as neatly packaged as your example are rare while the less
dramatic exigencies of democratic social life are ever-present.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk