[Gllug] SCSI Cards.

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 15:03:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:58:56PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> I have been looking at SCSI Cards and have seen the following on sale in
> various places and was wondering if anyone had seen them any cheaper and if
> so where.
>
> The following cards here at $214 and $245 looked lovely.
> http://www.intraserver-store.com/inbassys4.html

after reading post from various scsi biggot i'll post my
experiences.

i had ide boxen for years,  until i built my first server =)
ended up being a dual pentium with scsi 3 x hdd +  2 x cdr + cdrw ...

i was more that surprised by system performance when i moved from
ide to scsi as the interupt load on the cpu when down by a factor of
ten ... thanks to command quing.

i could run a networked 25 player quake server *and* burn cds at 4X =)
after i moved to tulip network cards, and with samba do all those
things you do at a lan party type event =)

i had an adaptec 2940AU and later used tekram 390c(?) UW cards...

i would prefer the tekram, but the main performance issue was that
the hard disks max read was 6.5MB/s and write was only 5.5MB/s ...

so ... raid! and 9.99MB/s read and 8.99 MB/s write, on a aha 2940AU
i could run bonnie over 1GB files and burn cds at the same time ... =)
not nice, but an interesting test. remember this is on a dual P133
with only 128MB ram ... and a 33MHz PCI bus. so new systems should
be able to do much better.

scsi make sense for server boxes, but not really for desktop boxes,
IMHO...

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk