[Gllug] Sounds editing tools

Eamon Skelton nospam at oceanfree.net
Fri Jan 25 10:40:27 UTC 2002

On 25-Jan-2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with sound editing tools under Linux?

There aren't many (any?) good audio editing tools for Linux.

> In particular, I'm looking for something that will let me take two
> wav files and merge them into one. Not just simple concatenation,
> but something like:
>
>       fade out the last 10 seconds of track 1 with a linear fade
>       fade in the first 10 seconds of track 2 with a sinusoidal fade
>       mix the last 10 seconds of track 1 with the first 10 of track 2
>       just for silliness, apply excessive reverb to the start of track 1 :-)

Audacity is my favourite sound editor for Linux. It can import multiple
wav files and merge them into one. It has fade in, fade out, echo
and a small selection of other effects.

Glame is also quite good.  CoolEdit for Windows works quite well
under WINE.  I don't know about the latest versions of CoolEdit
but CoolEdit 96 works fine.

E.S.

--

Linux 2.4.17