[Gllug] ABI kernels

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jan 16 13:01:24 UTC 2002

>Does anyone know much about using the ABI kernel source patches to
>run SCO binaries?

I know that when I last looked at it, it wasn't as cleanly designed as
I'd been hoping, and was a nightmare of twisted code. I'd just written
a basic system call tracer for DG/UX [1], and was reasonably confident
of the calling conventions etc. As another of my harebrained schemes
(none of which I ever seem to see through to completion -- I wonder
what that says about me?), I thought adding support for Linux to run
Intel DG/UX binaries would be something of a no brainer, particularly
having seen how clean the SPARC support for running SunOS binaries
was. Sadly, I was mistaken, and in the end, I couldn't be bothered to
put the effort in to work out what the hell it was doing...

As for SCO binary support, I'd be surprised if some of the ex-SCO people
here haven't got it running at some point. Care to step up to the plate?

Tet

[1] DG themselves had just added a half-baked port of strace to the MU06
    release of DG/UX, but it didn't give me back half the information I
    needed at the time. In particular, it didn't give symbolic names for
    ioctl() requests, and didn't give anywhere near enough info for mmap()
    or connect() to be useful. It did leave me impressed with the DG/UX
    kernel, though. Although originally an SVR4 license, DG rewrote the
    kernel from scratch a few years ago (mostly because it was easier
    than trying to graft NUMA support onto the SVR4 kernel), and they
    managed to get it right, and come away with a very clean design. Of
    course the internals could have been hideous, but I didn't get to
    see any of that, so I wouldn't know :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk