[Gllug] AMR modems - and first post!

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Jan 3 14:09:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:25:54PM +0000, Kieran wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2002, David Irvine wrote:

<snip>

> > > Anyone any idea if I could have some comeback to Scan,
> > > as I specifically bought this system to run Linux?
> >
> Remember, this is Scan, of 1 hour telephone hold-hell fame.

And for some reason, just to make the experience extra pleasent, I
find that the on-hold "music" swoops between hissing AM radio quality
and white noise with little or no regard to aural delight.

> > If all else fails just complain lots and lots, companies usually relent
> > after a lot of phone calls.
> >
> I'm sure that their customer support are wonderful people.

No. I strongly believe that they are drones following a script, which
is why I am always polite. When dealing with Scan, the tatic of asking
to speak to "your manager" whenever you think they're talking utter
cack helps, as does refusing (politely!) to be put on hold.

Once spent a happy lunch break "chatting" with the souls at Scan
looking for a refund on some dud kit. In the end, got them to call me
back, and got a round of applause from the people that had been
ear-wigging.

>From that day on, I actively advise my friends and family to avoid
them like the plague, based on my experiences with them.

> On the other hand, getting through to them involves a race condition
> with the heat-death of the universe....
>
> Bitter, me?

Ahh... another survivor.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea
shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk