[Gllug] Greenhouse emissions (was Geforce2)

richie at smalldragon.net richie at smalldragon.net
Thu Jan 24 12:38:48 UTC 2002

Harry,

You have always impressed me with your forthright rants ;-)

So I am gonna comment on this one!

Cheers,

Richie

> <rant_return>
> All of the above is of course that everyone drives their cars at
optimum
> efficiency. An automatic for the masses is generally a more efficient
car as
> you do not get people revving their cars to death or boy racers on
the
> motorway in third gear because it sounds good.

True, but some of us prefer manuals - each to his own!

> As for the POW bit as far as I am aware the pictures taken where at
the
> start of the prisoners internment. I personally would not want a bunch
of
> suicidal maniacs capable of an atrocity like 09/11 and spreading
anthrax
> touching or breathing on me in any shape form or fashion. If the
yanks
> wanted or where going to be really bad to them I think you might find
that
> there would be no press pictures or otherwise coming out of that area.
They
> are very capable of shutting up shop and following the rules i.e. No
one
> gets to see these prisoners except UN or red cross and that does not
include
> the press.
>
> Have you ever thought why the pictures got out in the first place,
every
> yank wants to see these boys in some form of distress and discomfort,
cast a
> vote in America at the moment and a large percentage would be happy to
have
> them shot. Its the mob that gets the vote and Bush's administration
is
> playing his countries banjo like the kid from deliverance. There is
always a
> second, third, fourth add infinitum  agenda that we can only second
guess
> and I have not spent 8 years at MIT Harvard or Yale being groomed for
spin.
> Thinking they are being cruel because they can is a bit short
sighted.

I believe the photos were actually taken from Cuba - therefore the
americans had no choice in the matter - The only way the yanks can stop
it would be to erect screens, and then the fur would really fly!

> I know it sounds as if I do not care what happens to these guys. To
be
> brutally honest they should be thankful they are alive at all. I do
not
> condone cruelty as I would not condone being cruel to an animal but
sometime
> rabid animals need to be muzzled. In fact rabid animals are taken to
the vet
> and murdered in the UK. This is a rant for another list and I will no
doubt
> have lots of replies detailing how far from civilisation I am and that
bad
> only leads to more bad. I like to look at these things from the
perspective
> of both parties. I am not one to stand on the touchline and slag off
the
> people doing the dirty work. It very easy to cry shame when you are
> million miles from someone trying to spill your guts and rape your
mother
> while we watch television have a nice dinner, live in a two up two
down
> house with gas central heating and milk delivered to your door. Its a
sad
> fact that in the society we live in that violence is sometimes the
only
> method to put things right. I would love to live in a world where
all
> parties see reason sit around a table and talk things through come to
> conclusion and shake hands but sadly this is not the case.

What worries me about all this is the reaction of the non-civilised
world - now they have an excuse to torture, maim, and generally make
life REALLY unpleasent for their prisoners - and the Americans don't
seem to have a leg to stand on now

> If genocide is being carried out what do we do if talking does not
work. In
> a highly civilised world peel would keep talking until all the people
where
> dead as almost happened in Somalia. Are we not morally obliged to stop
it
> when it occurs no matter what the cost or would the loss of lives
doing it
> through violence be unacceptable to the highly civilised.

Agreed - but I think that if America would learn to take a back seat a
little, then the rest of the world might sleep a little easier - the
American 'we're the best' attitude just causes more trouble in most
cases.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk