[Gllug] Laptop woes....

Tim Gray timgray at numasters.com
Wed Jan 16 11:42:05 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I've been try-ing to install Linux on my new Sony Vaio (FX403) I've had a look
aroud on google and it seams Linux will work on the Vaio. The problem I've got
is that the Kernel either oppses, panics or dead locks when the system switches
to run level 5. I suspect its a VM problem, I have been able to get through to a
login prompt (once)  but oppsed claiming not enough memory. I've tried Mandrake
8.1 (2.4.8 Kernel ) wich installs fine but hard boots every time (no error
message or anything). I've also used RedHat 7.2 (2.4.7 kernel), which again
installs fine but won't boot (opps,panic or deadlock), Emergancy boot disk
dosen't help.

Partition wise I've split the 15G drive three ways

FAT32 (windows) - 5Gb
FAT32 (data drive) - 5Gb
Ext2 (tried Ext3 but same problem) 4.8G
Swap 200Meg (tried varying the swap size but doesn't work)

I'm planning on bringing the little darling to Lonix tonight if anyone care
spare a moment*

Thanks

Tim

*Will pay in beer ;)