[Gllug] Advanced routing

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Jan 25 17:22:38 UTC 2002

tet at accucard.com(tet at accucard.com)@Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 04:58:50PM +0000:

> I've got a bit of a routing problem. Does anyone know if I can NAT/PAT
> selectively depending on route? I have two routes to a given destination.
> A primary (with a preferential metric) and a backup. The problem is that
> the backup route won't accept traffic for a given IP address, but *does*
> provide the same service on a different address.
>
> So if the primary route is available, then I'd send the request straight
> through. But if the route is down, I'd want to NAT to the backup route
> to use the alternative IP address. Thus the change of routes is transparent
> to the originating application.
>
> Routing is currently done using Cisco IOS, but if a way to do this was
> found, putting in an additional router running OpenBSD with ipf/pf or
> Linux with iptables wouldn't be a problem. Of course, if anyone knows
> how to do this natively in IOS, so much the better.

not quite sure i understand your problem, but...
i've been reading a bit about the traffic shapping and advanced routing
feautures of linux in conjunction with possibly iptables.  i dont want
to tell you how to suck eggs, but i think you can do an awfull lot with
these tools.

sorry for not giving you a really accurate answer to you problem, but
i've only just started looking into this, so my knowledge is weak.  it
looks promising tho.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk