[Gllug] init.d

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 28 15:41:17 UTC 2002

On 1/28/02, 2:24:06 PM, harry <postituk at yahoo.com> wrote regarding [Gllug]
inet.d:

> Hi all

> If I wanted to stop services that are starting at boot ie sendmail I can
use
> chkconfig under Red Hat. How do you manually stop the services coming up
> without using this tool. I have tried deleting the symbolic links in the
> relevant rc.d directories but no joy.

Ok, first of all this is /etc/init.d (note spelling) - /etc/rc.d/ is
obsolete (and only there as a symlink on RH 7.2).  You can stop services
temporarily by /etc/init.d/servicename stop and on RH to stop them
permanently there's ntsysv

On Red Hat you should also be able to use Linuxconf (shudder) to specify
what runs on what runlevel, I think.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk