[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Jan 7 01:04:52 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 12:26:34AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Pete Ryland spake:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 08:27:22PM +0000, Kieran wrote:
> >> As an aside, I've heard that in Australia, agencies will advertise
> >> non-existent jobs, to get candidates on their books.  Does anyone have
> >> experience of this in the UK?
> >
> > IME, it happens pretty rarely there (and not at all outside Sydney and
> > Melbourne I would expect)
>
> Ah. Assuming Kieran's been hearing from the same people I have, the info
> comes mostly from Melbourne residents :)

Actually, when I last was looking for work in Australia the job market was
quite a bit better.  I'm guessing that it's not really a geographical
phenomenon, but one related to the state of the market.  Hence I could well
imagine that the agencies there have since adopted some interesting policies
as they have done here.  Still, outside Melbourne and Sydney is like outside
London is here, and I wouldn't expect the agents in Brisbane, for example,
to be as competitive.

Well, I'm hoping that the predictions of a first quarter upturn are right.
Dealing with sharks of recruitment agents is starting to give me the shits.

Actually, while we're on this topic, can anyone tell me whether an
Australian accent or Australian work experience are seen as a bad thing?
I.e., in what light would an English recruitment agent see an Australian,
noting that I have a British passport and intend to stay for some time?

Pete