[Gllug] btopenworld

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 11:38:03 UTC 2002

On Monday 14 January 2002 18:35, you wrote:
> The Other Simon: eh? Do you mean "is BT Openworld throttled?" "Is
> there a limit to how much data I can shove around monthly on BT
> Openworld?" or something similar, my answer would be a gallic shrug
> of the shoulders. I can suggest Mailbox.net.uk as an alternative
> --- they come rated on the list, and they're the first company I've
> met with the balls to say "we used to provide this service, but it
> was crap, so we're redoing it properly. Sorry"
We have BT ADSL (Business account) here at work and it either goes
flat out (512kbps) all the time (and I've downloaded a LOT of ISO's
and updates etc.) OR it's broken and they spend 5 days fixing it. I'm
not joking! It went down some time over the weekend (last September
sometime) and I phoned it in on Monday am. (and every 12 hours or so
after that) and it wasn't working again until sometime early Friday
am. And they couldn't even tell me what was wrong with it. The people
that I spoke to on the phone appeared to be recently trained
chimpanzees who didn't actually know about any of the technical
specifics at all. What a debacle!! AND after much promising of
feedback, they never ONCE called or communicated in any way to say
that it was working or to check back or tell me what the hell was
going on or anything. Not a sausage!
But when it is working (and thankfully it hasn't stopped since) it
works really well. But be sure to use your own DNS and SMTP servers
'cos their ones stink.
--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk