[Gllug] ABI kernels

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 08:26:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Stephen Harker stipulated:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 12:34, you wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:05:15PM +0000, Stephen Harker wrote:
>> > He is having problems compiling a kernel from
>> > source with the ABI patches because he is ending up with a 2.6 MB
>> > kernel which LILO won't load.
>>
>> Sounds like he's compiling a kernel without using modules.
[snip]
> Well thats what I said but he swears he's done it right so I am
> having a go myself to see what the story is. More soon...

He may well have done it right, but the kernel has a hardwired
(compiled-in) initial page table for its own code, and if that's shorter
than the kernel the kernel won't run.

The solution is to link things as modules, or to expand the initial page
table; on IA32, it's in arch/i386/kernel/head.S; search for
ENTRY(pg0). (On other platforms it is elsewhere, of course.)

--
`I personally would not stand in a river waving a graphite rod above my
 head during a thunderstorm.' --- Harry Jackson

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk