[Gllug] RedHat to buy AOL

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 12:24:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:12:23 +0000 will wrote:

> And what of AOL-TW's move to restore competition in the operating
> systems market? AOL-TW isn't in the OS business, never has been, and
> won't be in the future: it's now gone on the record to give *a
> comprehensive denial that there was anything in the Washington Post
> story which claimed AOL was in discussions to acquire Linux distro Red
> Hat.*

All I will say is look what happened to Netscape.  I think I said enough
:)  Also, if AOL Time-Warner (who seem to be eaten more film companies
these days, and although not new, I was shocked when New Line got eaten by
them) _were_ take over Red Hat, they still haven't made a Linux client for
accessing the AOL network yet have they?  AOL have enough problems
supporting MacOS-X don't they?  <shakes head>

> Phew.  The nightmare scenario where I am asked to log in with my 'screen
> name' seems a little further away.

What pisses me off more at the moment is the antics of Verisign.  I
understand they've just eaten another registry adding to their ever
increasing monopoly of domain registries.

I'm also pissed that registrars.com have eaten a domain name.  I was
attempting to update the nameservers on it, and somehow deleted the bloody
thing in the process.  Despite emailing and faxing them, no response.

Regards,

	Martyn

--
http://www.drake.me.uk