[Gllug] SCSI query (LVD and UltraWide compatibility)

Matt B matt at mattbland.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 00:40:01 UTC 2002

Hi Martyn

> I'm contemplating buying the ACARD AEC67160 Ultra160 PCI controller
> which comes with an internal and external Ultra160 LVD connector (which
> I understand is a 68 pin connection in the same style of Ultra Wide
> connectors).  What I want to know is whether I can connect my Ultra Wide
> devices using either the supplied LVD connector or a normal Ultra Wide
> connector.  Is LVD backwards compatible with Ultra Wide devices?

> Sorry to sound a bit blank about this sort of thing, but after all this
> talk about SCSI, it's made me want to get it on my system and give it a
> go.

LVD are 68 pin, as are UltraWide. The AEC67160 supports SCSI-1, SCSI-2,
SCSI-3, Ultra SCSI, Ultra2 SCSI and Ultra160 SCSI, which means you shouldn't
have any problems.

LVD is not directly backwardly compatible with other SCSI standards due to
it's cable requirements. However if you want to connect LVD devices in the
same SCSI chain as UW drives then make sure that all the cables on the chain
are LVD cables, otherwise the lower-voltage-differential won't work. As far
as I know the AEC67160 comes with an Amphenol LVD cable as standard.

If in doubt the card has two connectors, an internal and an external. If the
worst comes to the worst you can use one connection for LVD SCSI160 and
another for UW drives.

For more information try this book "Book of SCSI, 2nd Edition" available at
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1886411107/o/qid=1010968834/sr=8-1/
ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/026-3442746-6336464

Regards,