[Gllug] Working with Linux

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Jan 7 18:47:55 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 17:59, Pete Ryland wrote:

> I'm sure we all remember the TRS-80 (pron. "trash 80") computers too.

Ahh.
My first home computer - and we still have it somewhere.

I extended the character set the Real Man's (TM) way - using
a memory chip and a soldering iron.
The TRS-80 was upper-case only, but the character generator chip
was capable of producing lower case. But it had seven times RAM
chips for the video memory, to save money.
You could solder an eighth chip onto of another as  a piggy back,
and by cutting a track enable lower case. Cool.

As an aside, I remember the early home computers used TV character
generator chips which were manufactured for other uses, like
video games.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk