[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Tue Jan 15 14:02:29 UTC 2002

Hi,

I agree with everything you say and Mr Stallmans esssay but it is extremely
difficult to put into practice.  I have within the last half hour send a CV
in to an agency who insisted that the CV be sent in word format only and
this was for a Unix/Open Source position, I wrote it in Open Office.

> I have just read Stallman's essay on the above on Newsforge:
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/10/1711238&mode=thread
>
> I think someone mentioned it on Gllug recently but could not find the
> thread.
>
> The most shocking event for me today was to receive the Red Hat exam
> schedule (which incidentally was written in Open Office) as a word
> document attachment.

Red Hat should do better Star Writer format at least.

> I do not tolerate this from employment agencies, from an Open Source
> vendor!!!!

If you are in a position of power use it when recieving solitations from
companies seeking contract work insist that they send their documents in
HTML (tell them it will go on the company intranet for purusal by
interested project managers).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk