[Gllug] Debian gateways

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 13:04:02 UTC 2002

> I was always scared to move to Debian because I imagined it
> was a b at st@rd to
> use but have now realised that it would have been much to my
> advantage if I
> had tried it when I started out.
>
> For anyone in two minds about trying it, give it a go and
> after you have got
> to grips with apt and dselect then I think most people would love it.

I also installed Debian on a server at the weekend and after initial
problems it went very smoothly.

I think if you are doing a floppy/network install it seems that you have
to go through loads of floppies before you get one that boots correctly.
Also I had a silly problem that stumped us for a long time - the base
debs were giving a "file corrupted" message but it was due to us not
giving the install partition enough space (doh!).

I should be getting a broadband connection shortly and I think this is
where the main advantage of Debian lies so I may change my RH7.1 over to
Debian once I get sorted. Not sure how easy this will be to keep my
existing relevant /etc config files and /home (they are all on one
partition). I guess you can have two different Linux distros dual
booting while you change over?

Paul.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk