[Gllug] Init not Found

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Jan 8 14:03:16 UTC 2002

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Jackson, Harry wrote:

>Init is the Devil and everything is spawned from it and innittab is the
>config file that it uses. It is also where I put the initdefault runlevel
>for my system (Bruce showed me that one). Correct me if I am wrong but it
>runs through your initdefault "rc" directory "S"tarting and "K"illing
>directories depending on the links in there. Then the rc.sysinit file will
>run through configuring everything else. This is why I wondered when I seen
>the message as if it cannot run init then I am buggered.

rc.sysinit is run first, and will do stuff that is common to all run
levels (like mount swap partitions, check / filesystem etc.)

The K's are not run unless init is changing run levels. eg, when going
from 5 -> 1 (single user mode), all the K's in /etc/rc1.d/K* are run with
the stop command line arg, then all the S's in /etc/rc1.d/S* are run with
the start command. On initialisation, only S's are done.

BTW, SysV init is horrendously complex, especially having discovered the
new NetBSD init. Might be an interesting project to port the NetBSD init
to some Linux dist. Anyone interested?

>Harry

Christian

--