[Gllug] Print Quota system

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 20:02:49 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 17:12, Hall RJ wrote:
> Does anyone know of or use a Free method of restricting printer usage.
> Some of our students are taking the piss with the current setup of unlimited
> printing.   Although we don't want to charge them for usage I would like to
> force a weekly/monthly limit on pages printed.   There seems to be nothing
> available open source that I can see only commercial packages.
>
> === === === === === === === === ===
> Richard Hall
> Systems Administrator
> Information Security Group
> Royal Holloway, University of London
> Tel: +44 (0)1784 44 3111
> Fax: +44 (0)1784 430766
> === === === === === === === === ===

Hi Richard,

I had the same problem, and opted for a very similar solution. I've
written some perl which interacts with lprng and HP printers (or indeed
other printers which can return page counts to lprng) which doles out
print quota in chunks each week. I've never released it, as it would
need some tidying and documentation and has a couple of bugs that I know
but don't care much about. I started work on a second version in the
summer but events overtook me and "version 2" is (still) not finished.

We've been using my solution for a couple of years to drive 3 (now 4)
HP8000's.

I could share what I've done with you if it sounds interesting.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis 					Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.     Tel. 020
78827522

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk