[Gllug] Geforce2

john john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 08:38:09 UTC 2002

Well gotta give my two pennies,cents,euros...

I am very fortunate to drive two cars. About 50,000 miles a year.
One is an Atomic and the other manual. I have also driven dozens of cars.
Automatics are more expensive to buy.
When they go wrong they cost a lot more to fix.
If driven ideally the manual is more efficient.

In practice the automatic is just ahead in efficiency (cost of cash spent on
petrol) but that is more effected by other things such as tyre pressure and
when it was last crypton tuned.
Automatics require less gearbox maintainance because it is easier if you
drive in a lot of heavy traffic to chew up the clutch plate on a manual.
Admittidly is is simple to change but still a hassle.

Fun to drive - both as much fun.
Hill racing is better in the manual because I can change the ratios of second
gear (start in second)  on the bench rather than the automatic which is
harder to do. But quite a few of the good racers are using autos and they do
very well. This is because on most autos you can punch the accelerator to
cause a gear change and so force it to behave as a manual.

Day to day driving an auto is easier. Real no brainer. More like a digital
experience. One foot either stop or go. none of this analogue stuff.

Also rally drivers use a mix gearbox as this allows to to use two feet and
hold the brake and rev the engine.

In bad weather and failing engine you soon learn to do this anyway.

John Southern

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk