[Gllug] Debian gateways

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 31 11:13:10 UTC 2002

On 1/31/02, 10:52:24 AM, "Jackson, Harry" <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Debian gateways:

If you want to test how much you are learning about networking, try not
doing that immediately.  Instead, when you want to make a change to an
interface try making just that change (with route, ifconfig or whatever).
 Look at the results, see if they are what you were after and compare
them to what happens when you do do ifdown;ifup.  The
/etc/network/interfaces construct is Debian-specific (and subject to
occasional change) while the route, ifconfig and ip commands are standard
across distributions (and vital if you're going to try and troubleshoot).

There are also situations where bringing interfaces up and down is
inappropriate.  For example, at work I have a multi-homed host acting as
gateway to our several routes out.  It has 4 interfaces, each with extra
rules (policy routing and other things) attached that are triggered when
an interface is brought down or up.  When our adsl line goes down I need
to switch the default route from the adsl interface to the leased line
and tweak a couple of rules.  Altering the interfaces file and bringing
interfaces down and up isn't an option.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk