[Gllug] ADSL modeom/router/splitter recommendations

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jan 14 16:19:54 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:58:04PM -0000, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy wrote:
> How much of an arse is the Speedtouch install thesedays? The DSLsource page
> says the speedtouch comes with "Linux software"....

Despite some inexplicable problems getting things running in the first
place, it's not too bad. Just a case of a quick compilation of your
kernel, the Benoit drivers and utils and you're more or less
away. Quite why my computer stubbornly refused to do anything until I
threatened it with some Vogon code[1] escapes me.

You shouldn't have any problems. Then you get to learn all about
iptables in a matter of minutes when you realise that you're whoring
yourself to the world. Something like:

iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --syn -j REJECT

might do the trick. As I read it, that says reject all incoming
connections on the ppp0 interface. Cos we're using iptables, this
allows us to make outgoing connections successfully (and get the data
back) but makes life that little bit more difficult for those on the
outside.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Like the poetry, but carefully tailored to accelerate the
    recipient towards silicon hell.

--
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double.  "Having a bad
day?" asks the barman.  "Yeah, I have a parity error," replies the ASCII

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk