[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Jan 27 11:23:45 UTC 2002

I think you've just hit on the nerve of why the community at large thinks of
nerds as being unable to communicate. In ANY description of communication
the 'audience' (a loaded concept in communications theory) forms a part of
the communication. To NOT pitch to one's audience is to be unable to
communicate effectively. In this case RMS did not communicate effectively.
If he assumes that everyone wants to hear about him and his opinions rather
then about the free software movement then frankly it suggests that not only
does he have a problem communicating; but also that he's a touch
egotistical.

This was not a talk of people going to listen to RMS, this was a group of
people who wanted to hear about free software from the horse's mouth. LUGs
go to hear RMS, business people (and/or government mandarins) go to hear
about free software. Nobody has ever suggested that PHBs are a particularly
open-minded bunch. If you've never heard of RMS before then you need to be
very open minded. If the nature of RMS says a lot (and the person certainly
does) then it screams very loudly and clearly "DO NOT LET THIS MAN INTO YOUR
OFFICE!!!". Where RMS and free software are related (as RMS and others will
clearly point out) it implies that you shouldn't let free software into your
office.

The problem was really when RMS stepped from "You should be free to copy any
software you have without paying for it" to "You should copy any software
you have without paying for it [; it's morally reprehensible to refuse]". I
remind you that it was not one comment; he went on at some length.

It's interesting that you should pick writers as your example: they are
generally terrific communicators (it is their stock in trade after all). It
should be noted that writers are often poor speakers though.

I do not think anything productive will come from this discussion; it
strikes me that you see 'respect for RMS' as being equivalent to 'RMS is
infallible'. I consider infallibility to be a super-human trait; and as a
mere mortal I wouldn't recognise it if I tripped over it.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk