[Gllug] ADSL Connection

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 18:38:47 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 Jan 2002 3:42 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Chaps,
>
>          Any of you guys had any experiences with this
> in the UK, I want setup my own apache webserver (get
> my own ip) and eventually firewall it! Anyone with
> good experiences?

Mailbox have been pretty good for me, they had a mail server outage recently
and they are subject (as are all ADSL ISP's unless you live in Hull) to BT
trashing the ADSL infrastructure at regular intervals :-( Other than that
they seem pretty straightforward, they gave me the MX records I asked for
even though I'm on the punter lowlife USB tariff. They don't run transparent
caches and they don't port block (get yourself a good firewall, my snort logs
make for scary reading!).

the impression I got was that if you know your stuff and know what to ask for
you will get it. Within a few minutes of me calling to get the service fired
up I was discussing the ins and outs of USB frog drivers for Linux, although
I don't think that's standard fare for support.

the USB frog is awful, don't go there. As soon as my contract allows I'm
getting a proper router.

Don't forget that ADSL is the wrong way round for bandwidth if you want to
run a webserver, unless it's just for fun :-)

Cheers

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk