[Gllug] fuck.Fuck.FUCK!

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Mon Jan 7 00:13:38 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darran D. Rimron-Molloy" <ddrm at digital-science.net>

> True story, about 15 minutes ago....
> root at sophie: cd /usr
> root at sophie: cd archiv     <---- something not quite right here....
> root at sophie: rm -rf *
> OHFUCK

Hehe

My worst one in a while is being in as root and doing an ls -al of a
distant directory (ls -al /far/dir), not realising that I haven't
changed directory and then kicking off a chown -R while still being in
/...

Luckily I had a separate identical box to work from and fix the
permissions of the half of the /dev tree... Good job it was a slow
machine.

As an aside if your working on a Linux box (Don't know if ext2
supports this under the BSD's) one of the things I do once a box is in
production is make the contents of a bundle of directories like
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin immutable with chattr +i in case I do anything
stupid like rm'ing /. I'd lose all my stuff but the box would still be
there.

HTH
  Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk