[Gllug] Font choice

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 17 09:09:01 UTC 2002

>I know this is a personal preference,
>but I'm looking for good font settings for x-term.
>Something to give my eyes a rest - maybe 14 point.

I've found 10x20 to be a good large size font. I switch to it from
my default 8x14 when I want to show things to others, for example,
who for some inexplicable reason complain about my fonts being too
small :-)

>Anyway, what fonts do people normally use?

8x14 and 10x24 for normal use, 5x8 and occasionally nil2 for log
viewing, etc.

>Also anyone know what the accepted wisdom on restful colour
>combinations is?

Yep, accepted wisdom is wrong. Various people have done research
that supposedly proves dark text on a light background is easier
on the eyes. All I can say is that from personal experience, that's
not true for me.

>I tend to go for the traditional green-on-black

A man after my own heart. As all should know, it's the one true way :-)
Rather than strict green and black, I've toned them down a bit to reduce
the contrast slightly. I use:

	XTerm*background:        gray20
	XTerm*foreground:        mediumseagreen
	XTerm*cursorColor:       mediumseagreen

At first glance it just looks like you've got the brightness turned up
too high, but once I got used to it, I find it must less stressful on
the eyes than #00ff00 on #000000.

>(but then again I'd go for a VT-220 anyday if I could have
>one back...)

:-) I stuck with using my DEC Rainbow as a terminal emulator long
after it was obsolete purely for that reason. They're still around
if you look hard enough. Not so many on ebay any more, but you can
still find them at computer auctions occasionally.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk