[Gllug] El Reg story

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Jul 17 17:34:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 04:52:56PM +0200, John HEARNS wrote:

> > It doesn't matter how much of a good sales man you are if your customer
> > can not afford the product.  This article in Linux journal, Covers the
> > dialogue between the Pakistani Government and PLUG.  When your average
> > yearly wage is $300 Linux and Open Office make a lot of sense.  Some
> > NGOs and charities over here should sort their sorry selves out and
> > adopt open source technology a lot quicker than they are doing, before
> > the people they are meant to be helping out get ahead of them.  No bad
> > thing in my book.
>
> Jim, you speak sense.
>
> How about we (I use the word in a loose sense!) set up the demonstration
> or advocacy system we once discussed?
> I wonder if at Linux Expo there will be visitors from charities,
> local government, hospitals etc?

If there isn't then we should invite them, politcians -that Claire Short
woman springs to mind and anyone else who could be helped or indeed help
with getting Linux into and accepted by these sectors.  Not because it
is Linux and we love it but because it is the best decision to made in
these situations.  We could also do with some general advanced publicity
about this in both our own community and the general press BBC click
online, Guardian IT etc.

> Maybe we set up a decent spec PC.
> Put a Windows-themed desktop on it, with Ximian Evolution and
> OpenOffice. And Gnome-meeting for the visual factor.

It is a hideous thing to suggest but if we are going to do this we
should also have a Windows box there too connected to Samba, Exim or
Postfix because they are easy to configure, ditto Courier or UW Imap,
and other stuff.

Server side as much as is possible should be configurable with Webmin or
equivalent web based GUI.  The idea is not to show how leet we all are
but to make it easy to make the transition to Open Source/Free Software.

I will offer a couple of desktops for the show and do my best to make my
self available for the 2 days.

We talk about doing something 'worthy' on this list every once in a while
lets try and make this one, one that succeeds.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk