[Gllug] Unkillable process

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 09:52:21 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:34:37AM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >> strace -p pid -- shows system calls
> >
> >A tool without which Unix is dross :)
>
> Agreed. In fact I was stunned to find out that my favourite non-Linux
> Unix (DG/UX, RIP) lacked a syscall tracer until a couple of years ago.
> That turned out to be a half-assed port of strace, rebadged as dg_strace.
> I ended up writing my own, which was an interesting academic exercise if
> nothing else, and I've grown quite attached to the dg_xtrace(2) interface.
> It's much nicer, to my eyes, than ptrace(2).

Years ago System 5.4 acquired a 'truss' program that looked at it's /proc
file system (similar to strace - which probably should have been called
truss) - & I think that Solaris has it as well. HPUX, AIX don't since
they aren't 5.4 based; but I must admit that I am getting Unix rusty since
it is getting to be some time since I have done serious Unix hacking as Linux
is much better for what I do.

AFIR 5.4 /proc inspired the Linux /proc which is light years ahead.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk