[Gllug] Microcode update

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Sun Jul 14 19:14:52 UTC 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:48:17AM -0700, Simon Trimmer wrote:
>  > > The P4 one isn't much better 8-)
>  > Not too surprised there, browsing the architecture manuals they seem to have
>  > tweaked quite a bit. That's a source of annoyance at the moment, the
>  > mechanism for setting at the performance counters changed so oprofile doesn't
>  > run on P4s
>
> Yup. That's been on my TODO for a while, but until I get a P4 to play
> with, it's unlikely to get done. There's a possibility of new toys next
> month though, so who knows...
>
> I thought getting the Athlon support into oprofile was tricky, but the
> P4 looks like a completely different kettle of fish.

Likewise (I'm all different flavours of P3)...I only noticed it because we
were trying to squeeze more out of someone's p4 setup. To profile modules &
interrupts I had to resort to Strange Patches I Found On The Net (tm), did
the job but oprofile is nicer :)

We have a P4 that Hugh poked with a stick whilst fixing hyperthreading, if I
get my act together (unlikely!) I might take a longer look at what needs
doing.

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk