[Gllug] Console colours (Was: Font choice)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 17 16:11:29 UTC 2002

>> Is there a way to change the colours of the text console?  e.g. How do you
>> invert the colours and have black on white.
>>
>something along the lines of xterm -fg white -bg black

I think the original question was asking about the system console,
not a terminal emulator under X.

>You can make the changes permanent but I be b*gg*rd if i have found out
>how to do that yet. You can also replace -fg white with -fg grey65 or
>something if you don't want brilliant white lettering.  Experiment and
>have fun, if you happen to work out how to make the changes permanent
>please let me know.

Add the appropriate resources to your $HOME/.Xdefaults file:

	XTerm*background:    #dead00
	XTerm*foreground:    #ff00ff
	XTerm*cursorColor:   #ff00ff

It'll take effect next time you restart X, or you can manually have it
take effect immediately with:

	xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

X resources are a wonderful thing. Learn about them. You can customize
other aspects of an application, for example:

	XTerm*saveLines:     1024
	XTerm*scrollBar:     true

The full list of resources for a given applicaiton is typically found
in its man page.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk