[Gllug] Making CD images

James Hollingshead james at hollo.org
Sat Jul 6 13:44:11 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:02:49PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create some iso files from CDs; but I'm having some problems.
> I've done a "cat /dev/scd0 > some.file.iso". This seems to work ok, I get an
> error about input or something, but I guess that's it hitting the end of the
> disc.
>
> The problem comes a few minutes later when my machine crashes hard. It drops
> my telnet connection, and refuses to respond at the console. I'm running a
> stock SMP SuSE 7.3 machine.

I had some similar problems when I had a SCSI cd drive on an old isa
adaptec scsi card. It seems that the card was bad at handling certain
conditions, and the kernel drivers were bad at handling the card. I
finally "fixed" the problem with a new scsi card. Certainly using cat
as you do shouldn't cause any problems, so this does sound like either
a hardware or a kernel issue.

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk