[Gllug] System Map

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Thu Jul 18 10:03:29 UTC 2002

    Harry> Could someone tell me what the error message, System.map does
    Harry> not match actual kernel data

The system.map contains addresses of symbols in the kernel.  The kernel
uses a variable/function's address rather than name, and the System.map
- along with /proc/ksyms - is the symbol table for that conversion.

    Harry> means and how I can get it sorted. I have not changed my
    Harry> kernel lately and this happens every time I run "ps". From
    Harry> what I can gather I have some discrepencies in my System.map
    Harry> table but I am unsure as to what could have caused this.

klogd will keep looking through /usr/src/linux, /boot, /, .. until it
finds a System.map that fits the current kernel.  Your error signifies
that it couldn't.  It's not a huge error, because the kernel itself
doesn't use System.map; utils like klogd and lsof do, though.

    Harry> So far the only thing I have found on google is that I should
    Harry> copy my /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map but I
    Harry> do not have the first file

It'll look in both.  Copying isn't necessary.  It looks like you just
don't have one, though.  If you want the error to go away, I guess you
should recompile and take more care of it.  :)

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
 "Blessings to the chap who invented ice cream, ginger-pop and the rest!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk