[Gllug] Can I do this with DNS

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Jul 9 18:10:09 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:34:48PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 08:47:31PM +0100, Jim wrote:
> > Recently I was asked to set up a DNS server on there as well since some
> > of the domains are coming to the end of their free two years web and mail
> > forwarding deals that came with the purchase of the domain name, I
> > presume that these would be C name records?
>
> Well, MX records should never point to CNAMEs and many people prefer not
> to use CNAMES at all, because of the problems they can cause.  You can
> always just use additional A records instead.
>

> > My question is if I set up Bind 9 as more than a caching server
> > (currently as far as I have got) am I going to cause DNS conflicts with
> > the current DNS since its A name record points to this IP and bind 9 as
> > far as I know needs a SOA file pointing to its self.
>
> If this DNS server is only going to be serving a specific set of boxes
> and they use it exclusively then you can put what you like in there as
> they'll never see a conflict.  But you haven't really given any
> description of the way this is all organised.

What makes you think any of this is in any way organisied? ;)
Thanks for your help though, the answer to my problem is to RTFM to wit
an ancient copy of O'reilly's Bind.  What I have learnt over the last
few days has made me realise that for a change it is not the syntax of a
problem that is eluding me but the implementation.  I will be reading
intently for a while.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk