[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Thu Jul 25 15:28:48 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:23:54AM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> [...]

It is the smaller outfits I was thinking about, particularly in the not
for profit sector.  You could offer a central backup location or you
could pair off or setup in groups similar organisations.  Schools spring
to mind they have a lot of data in digital formats and a high risk of
that data being destroyed locally, I am thinking arson and vanalism
here.  If they backed up data between each other their ability to
recover quickly from such a mishap should be hugely increased.  With 48
hours of time over a weekend even full backup of critical systems would
be possible.

> I have been playing with rsync for a couple of days as you will notice from
> earlier posts and I think its a very handy tool. I managed to do a complete
> backup of my debian install and all my windows crap, 4Gb first time round in
> less than twenty minutes. I am currently trying to write an interface for it
> so that I can be more selective over what I backup.
>
> I am going to start rambling with ideas.
>
> On adsl you can get 1Gb in about six hours (all db2 software, done it on
> Saturday) but as stated half this if the other end is on adsl. It would mean
> though that your pc could handle two connections and get the 1Gb from two
> companies over 12 hours. Most small business at least in my humble opinion
> are not changing 1Gb of data every day and after the initial backup this is
> what is important. The initial backup could be done using cd's and an
> incremental using rsync there after. Every so often you could send them a
> disk with the files tared and zipped in dated order.
>
> At the price of storage on ide where you can get 100Gb for next to bugger
> all you could store an awful lot of data. If the box was hosted to ensure
> availability you could run rsync continually to another location for burning
> the cd's and mass storage. Bandwidth would be a problem using this due to
> cost but I doubt a company would mind spending ?100 a month to ensure that
> there data can be got at 24/7 if anything goes pete tong. I dread to think
> how much data you could store in a 4u box nowadays but I imagine it would be
> substantial. Another option although a little bit more intensive for the
> business is off site storage using ftp. A hosted box and the business has
> got 10Gb of space or whatever they want on the box and they use it in any
> way that they please. No services just space. Or for security use ssh.

Here at Shazam we have 5TB of mp3s in the music repository, we use 160GB
IDE Raid arrays to store the music and transport it about with 160GB
firewire drives.  A similar method I am sure would be practical for
emergency restores.

> Jim, if you are interested in going further with this I would be very
> interested in it as well as I think that it is a very good idea.

I am very interested in all of this and it fits well into John Hearns'
plans for GNU/Linux/BSD advocacy.  Maybe we could test out the
practicality between ADSL connections.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk