[Gllug] apache virtual hosts

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Jul 11 16:13:19 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 17:01, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:09:01AM +0100, Mark Lowes wrote:
[...]
> > We use symlinks on the core boxen to link the massvhosting directories
[..]
> I am probably getting the wrong end of the stick here but I though
> symlinks were bad security on a web server.
> http://seaglass.com/securing_apache.html

Anything which means an open port is a security problem, allowing users
to create symlinks is a problem (don't allow that where possible),
letting users access to a scripting language (asp, php, python, jsp, etc
etc) is a security problem.  It comes down to a balance between complete
paranoia and stupidly open.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/