[Gllug] ip-tables and ipchains

Emil Vaughan e.vaughan at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 6 23:55:13 UTC 2002

"But on my SysVInit I see that at my default run level (and all the others for
that matter) I am attempting to launch ipv6tables iptables and ipchains all
at the same level of priority. Presumably this is a mistake?"

You can't have both modules running simultaneously. If you choose firewall
install on RH 7.3 it will load ipchains. Advanced users can change that to
iptables if they need to.

"Which should I want to use? And if ipchains is running now, do I want to
change it?"

I just use ipchains which works fine. I am not an expert though...
On RH, you can add rules to /etc/sysconfig/ipchains, then do
/etc/init.d/ipchains restart.

"Is this a problem? Should I be satisfied with ipcahins (I won't post up that
for obvious reasons)."

What obvious reasons?

Emil

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk