[Gllug] hostname not found

Harry Jackson postituk at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 21:44:30 UTC 2002

--- Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:

> But is it using /etc/hosts ?  Does /etc/host.conf have a line like
> this:
>
> order hosts,bind

Yes this is in there. By trial and error I have managed to get it
working although what I changed I am not to sure. I changed the domain
to "oncolt.com" which is what the nameservers domain is but I honestly
dont think that this did it. Apache is now working and serving pages.
Not sure if there is any point putting squid on the box anymore now
that I have adsl.

> Which tells the resolver to check the hosts file before trying the
> nameservers listed in resolv.conf.
>
> And also /etc/nsswitch.conf, which ought to have something like
>
> hosts:          files dns

This is in there as well.

Cheers
Harry