[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

Allen Baranov allen at isa.co.za
Mon Jul 22 12:12:32 UTC 2002

On Mon 17 Jun 02 3:41, Jim Bailey wrote:

> I am trying to download packages and install some stuff but I am
> getting frustrated by dependency issues, the distro is Red Hat 7.3.
> Could some one tell me if there is a set of commands that allows me to
> pull down the dependencies I need with the package or do I need to keep
> on playing chase the dependency all night?

I am surprised that noone has mentioned this yet. There is a very handy
program called "rpmfind". You type "rpmfind <package>" and it'll first check
if you need it (Do you have it? Do you have a comflicting package? etc). It
then checks a database on rpmfind.net for the package you want. It makes sure
you have the right version (386/686/sparc/etc). It then checks for the latest
version of the package you want and downloads it. It also downloads all the
software that the package is dependant on working out conflicts and
depeancies as it goes along.
It is made by the same guy who made rpm2html.
Having said this, the program does give me trouble every once in a while
trying to download stuff but it may just be my P.O.S. link. It has corrupted
my rpm database before which a quick rebuild fixed.

Allen Baranov

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk