[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jul 24 18:15:18 UTC 2002

Dylan(gllug at dylan.me.uk)@Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:28:47PM +0100:
> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 14:31, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> > as a lot of people have said, nfs under linux sucks, and i tend to agree.
> >
> > tried a lot of "network fs'es" a while ago and my conclusion was that samba
> > was the best on
> > fastest, most reliable and it just worked really well :)
>
> Any pointers to some others? The idea of using a rev.engineered Windoze system
> on a purely Linux network rankles just a bit!

hehe, i find it very entertaining.  i could almost allow myself to
believe that smbfs is a superior network fs.  given that my experieneces
with NFS on linux are all bad.  but i do know better, and i know that
NFS does work on every other unix i've used.

i've recently tried coda[1], and altho it works as a client out of the box
( on my MDK cooker system ), i havent had much success setting up my own
server.  the current version i've installed requires kerberos
authentication, and that's where my problems start.  YMMV, building from
source might help, but i cant say much about how well it works.

-v

[1] http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc