[Gllug] Microcode update

John HEARNS john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Jul 12 10:42:39 UTC 2002

I just downloaded a 2.5.25 kernel, just to have a look.
I suppose I'm laughably behind the times, but I see now that there
is a facility for updating the microcode on Intel processors.
Wow!

When I were young lad, I remember our IBM systems programmers
preparing to do things like that on a mainframe - from eight
inch floppies, natch. It was quite a big deal.
(then again, in those dark and distant days the machine was
rebooted to change to British Summer time... ahem).

Anyway - I'm well impressed. You can now do this on your home
machine. Guess home users don't have a USE for it - but impressive.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk