[Gllug] Microcode update

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Fri Jul 12 13:05:30 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 12:42:39PM +0200, John HEARNS wrote:
 > I just downloaded a 2.5.25 kernel, just to have a look.
 > I suppose I'm laughably behind the times, but I see now that there
 > is a facility for updating the microcode on Intel processors.

Been around for a while. In fact, there's even a backport right
back to 2.2 iirc.

 > Anyway - I'm well impressed. You can now do this on your home
 > machine. Guess home users don't have a USE for it - but impressive.

Microcode updates available from http://www.urbanmyth.org/microcode
It's worth adding to boot up scripts, as microcode updates does in
some circumstances work around cpu errata.

The Red Hat folks puzzled over what they thought was a kernel bug
for weeks before discovering the problem was fixed when they updated
the cpu microcode. (I think the problem only showed up on P3 Xeons iirc)

        Dave

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk