[Gllug] now DNS difficulties :-) strange SMTP stuff

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 09:57:21 UTC 2002

Robert McKay wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>Trying 217.136.253.122...
>
> [snip]
>
>>Trying 217.136.235.122...
>

> See it now? :)
>
> 253 != 235 <g>

Having set the IP addresses correctly there are a couple of domains that
are experiencing difficulty resolving the mx records for the domain
mactelecom.com.

Now I know that there are many name servers that can correctly resolve
the mx records, the fact that there are some that cannot is my fault and
my responsability to resolve (So I have been toild by those that pay me ;-)

The errors that are returned from the mail servers are failure to
resolve MX records.  These nameservers seem to resolve other domains
okay hosted on the same nameservers (harkness.co.uk for example).  Is
there something stupid I have done (Just like the IPs :-)

In addition would other people work with the owners of the other
nameservers or consider it their problem - they will have to sort it out?

Two of these domains that are having difficulty are alcatel.be and cofino.be

alcatel has four name servers (I am guessing that these are the servers
used by their mail servers)
;; ANSWER SECTION:
alcatel.be.             10624   IN      NS      ns.alcatel.be.
alcatel.be.             10624   IN      NS      ns.alcatel.co.uk.
alcatel.be.             10624   IN      NS      secdns.eunet.be.
alcatel.be.             10624   IN      NS      ns.alcanet.no.

####################################
by querying using dig @ns.alcatel.be mactelecom.com mx

the first says no name servers could be found - even if I put +trace on
the end.  In short it looks dead.

The second gives a correct answer

The third gives its root servers at - then with +trace finds the info
but still refuses to acknowledge that the mx records exist.

The forth gives the correct answer.

The other domains name servers will not resolve normally - but return
data using +trace

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk