[Gllug] Poweroff madness

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jul 12 15:57:29 UTC 2002

On 12 Jul 2002, John HEARNS wrote:

> > If you are on the console then you can shut down (so not remotely)
> >
> I realise that - but still it makes me uncomfortable.
>
> I suppose though, that thinking about it, the mains switch is in
> reach, and you can't stop that in software!

You can amend the pam configuration so that it checks a listfile (using
pam_listfile) and only those in that list are permitted to use the
functions however if you have physical access there is pretty much nothing
that can stop you killing it if you really want to.

Important systems should be behind some form of physical access control.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/