[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Thu Jul 25 09:23:54 UTC 2002

(I missed most of the thread but I think I've got a little bit of it.)

I have been playing with rsync for a couple of days as you will notice from
earlier posts and I think its a very handy tool. I managed to do a complete
backup of my debian install and all my windows crap, 4Gb first time round in
less than twenty minutes. I am currently trying to write an interface for it
so that I can be more selective over what I backup.

I am going to start rambling with ideas.

On adsl you can get 1Gb in about six hours (all db2 software, done it on
Saturday) but as stated half this if the other end is on adsl. It would mean
though that your pc could handle two connections and get the 1Gb from two
companies over 12 hours. Most small business at least in my humble opinion
are not changing 1Gb of data every day and after the initial backup this is
what is important. The initial backup could be done using cd's and an
incremental using rsync there after. Every so often you could send them a
disk with the files tared and zipped in dated order.

At the price of storage on ide where you can get 100Gb for next to bugger
all you could store an awful lot of data. If the box was hosted to ensure
availability you could run rsync continually to another location for burning
the cd's and mass storage. Bandwidth would be a problem using this due to
cost but I doubt a company would mind spending £100 a month to ensure that
there data can be got at 24/7 if anything goes pete tong. I dread to think
how much data you could store in a 4u box nowadays but I imagine it would be
substantial. Another option although a little bit more intensive for the
business is off site storage using ftp. A hosted box and the business has
got 10Gb of space or whatever they want on the box and they use it in any
way that they please. No services just space. Or for security use ssh.

Harry
Jim, if you are interested in going further with this I would be very
interested in it as well as I think that it is a very good idea.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. +44 20 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk