[Gllug] Unkillable process

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 14:47:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Alain Williams said:
> Years ago System 5.4 acquired a 'truss' program that looked at it's /proc
> file system (similar to strace - which probably should have been called
> truss)

POSIX.1 disagrees with you :)

(`strace' has always made more sense to me as a name than `truss'. I
can't tell what `truss' is meant to stand for, but `strace' -> `system
trace' is much clearer.

And then there's OSF/1, which has `strace': it's a STREAMS tracer. It
has a buggy strace port, but you have to dig around on the net for it.)

--
`What happened?'
                 `Nick shipped buggy code!'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk